Saturday, December 6, 2008

Uh... Thanks?

In this season of gifting and giving and presents and delicious candy, I can't help but feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of spending to be done. Thank goodness I don't live on my own. I'd waste a small fortune preparing for the holidays. As it was, I was stressed enough just trying to buy presents for my friends in the short space of time available. Ideally, I'd be looking ahead and see something in a store in May or September and say, "oh, that's something I should really get for so-and-so". Unfortunately, I lack that sort of foresight and often find myself scrambling in December to remember things I saw on sale in February or July. I also lack memory and money; these things being among the most important when finding gifts for other people. Did I get them this last year? Did I see this item at her house last week? Gah!

Skip back two years, and this was an issue not at all helped by the fact that the last day of finals at my school in my senior year was Dec. 22, with most students returning home on the 23rd. How could I do a whole year's worth of shopping within a 2 day period?

Luckily, although I lacked foresight, memory and money, I AM fortunately blessed with a great deal of creativity with which I am generally able to make up for the other issues. For instance, for my college boyfriend's mother, I bought a stark white apron and made an iron-on transfer with a picture of a bichon and the words, "I only cook for my dog... and occasionally for my other children." Which was well-received, thankfully.

And also luckily, although I lack funds, I am an incredibly savvy shopper, and managed to spend only about $140 on all the gifts I bought which includes my 3 best friends, boyfriend, boyfriend's parents, my own parents (all 4), step-brother, and close friends at school in addition to cards for all those who didn't get actual presents. I was so pleased by my abilities, I will now insert a mood icon here:


This is exactly how I felt.

But how do people deal with gifts that aren't quite what we expected? I try to accept them gracefully. If they're really wild and out there, I still accept them gracefully, but in my head I think about all the nefarious things I can do with the item. A set of decorative pens? I would string them together with ribbon and use it as a spiky lasso of death. Or put marshmallow Peep heads on the pointy ends and surround someone's house with them. Put the fear in 'em, I say!

But Paper? The most nefarious thing you can do with that, really is some really nasty papercuts.



Again, Happy Holidays, everyone!

No comments: