Saturday, December 6, 2008

I should have seen it coming

I'm sure you're all wondering how my special studies project ended up. If not, I'll tell you anyway. I got a minor extension to work until the day after Christmas. I was done by 2am Christmas morning. So I emailed a copy to the dean and prepped to send a hard copy to my major advisor on the 26th. Little did I know what dangers lurk in the US postal service system. The plan was to overnight the damn package and get it to my advisor by the next day. I was to ensure that she wouldn't have to sign for it. "I'm not chasing down your special studies," she informed me, "I'm not going to run around looking for it. Get it to my doorstep or I'm not grading it." Ultimatum Ouch.

At this point I was wondering just what exactly had crawled up her butt and whether she had noticed it yet. My guess was leaning towards something spiny (like some really skinny porcupine) and Yes. Well, arguing wasn't going to solve anything. So I vowed I would do just as she had requested and hope for the best.

Alas, the US Postal Service service leaves a lot to be desired. On the 26th, I went to the post office and for a whopping $14.40, I had all my papers mailed express to Easthampton, with a waiver of signature attached. I leave the story here to give a brief overview of what happened then:



Yes, the comic's style changes as I become more melodramatic. I promise the funnier ones will be back to color and minimalistic expression.

In the meantime, that's exactly what happened. By 3 days later, (according to the USPS online tracking services), my special studies still had not been delivered. As though anything in this entire ordeal could be easy. As if. A series of phone calls later, I was finally told by the post office in Easthampton that my major advisor was on vacation and had requested a hold on her mail so it wouldn't be delivered until the hold was removed the next day. *facepalm. I decided to take no chances. I told the folks there that if she hadn't picked up her mail by noon that day, to deliver the package.

And so now, it is safely at her house. Thank goodness. I'm ready for some real relaxation now. Too much tsoris surrounding this whole thing. And as I have credentials to be a professional worrier, I've been stressed like nobody's business. There's absolutely no reason for all the crap I've had to put up with for this stupid special studies.

But it was done! Hooray!

No comments: