Saturday, December 6, 2008

Out, out damn line!

Back in my senior year of college, I was unfortunate enough to step on a sewing needle that had been dropped on my carpet. My weight caused it to snap in half. One half was found across the room, the other half, was MIA. It was right around 2 weeks before finals, and I found myself suddenly in an immense amount of pain. From the event:

"Tomorrow's adventure includes attempts to schedule myself for surgery to get the darned thing out. It hurts like crazy. This only confirms to me that waving a magnet around my foot in an attempt to figure out if it was still inside worked. Probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but there you have it. It's a lot more than I thought it would be as well. I thought there'd be maybe an eighth of an inch in there... but no. It's more like 3/4 of an inch, and pressed up against my bone for super extra fun. I include for your ultimate enjoyment, a fantastic x-ray from radiology.



The school's health services are gonna hear about this one. I guarantee it. (side note: the school's health office told me it was nothing to worry about and since they couldn't see anything, it was unlikely there was anything in my foot. "soak your foot in warm water every day and apply this anti-biotic ointment!" . . .right... right.) On the actual x-ray, you can see the eye of the needle. It's actually pretty darn cool. And if the surgeons let me keep my x-rays, I'm definitely going to build myself a lightbox frame and it'll be the first work of art to grace my grown-up apartment (that is, when I can afford a grown-up apartment).

No comments: