Saturday, December 6, 2008

Corporate Love Slave

This entry is reprinted from the summer of no jobs:

As I continue my search for a summer job, I'm reminded frequently by my mother that the pursuit of money knows no shame. Thusly, I face down the task of working at HomeDepot, horrors of horrors.

I imagine myself decked out in a hideous shade of orange that both clashes with my skin color and works to make my self esteem drop to a negative level (heretofore, never deemed possible).



One might think that if I keep complaining of having no money, people might actually start believing me and forcing me to take jobs working for THE MAN.

Hear this world: I work for no MAN. Two of my previous jobs have actually qualified as goverment jobs (as scary as that sounds), and there's just too much paperwork to make it worthwhile. Meanwhile, my more recent government job had set me up with a government e-mail account, courtesy of NOAA, through which I attained all the nuances of the RAINBOW OF DOOM (also knows as the color-coded terrorist alert). I continue to point out that Bush, or whoever decided to put this terror level thing together must have failed out of preschool at least once, since every idiot knows that the rainbow goes Red, Orange, Yellow, GREEN, BLUE. Not BLUE, GREEN. Of course, back in the day, teachers would pass just about anyone, yeah?

Anyway, the point here is that, despite my need for money, working for corporate America doesn't quite appeal to me. But, mmmmmmm, beech shavings....

My groove: I'm feeling broody and artistic. Somebody should send me some black culottes.

No comments: